The Practice Manager is the head of the Billings & Authorizations department and has responsibility for the complete revenue collection process of the clinic and other medical services. This includes authorizations, coding, billing, and collections.
The Practice Manager is a full-time, non-exempt salaried position with full benefits. This position is located in Berkeley, CA. The client will pay relocation fees.
Practice Manager Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for expert knowledge of the Authorizations process such that the B&A department can deliver timely pre-authorizations for all services which require them.
- Responsible for keeping the clinical and scheduling staff periodically updated about changes to the authorization process that would affect scheduling or medical decision making, as well as keeping the staff well informed about the expected timeline of the authorization process.
- Responsible for expert knowledge in acceptable coding methods for a pain medicine clinic, including ICD/CPT agreement, variations in accepted codes based on payer, bundling rules, and changes in Local Coverage Determinations.
- The B&A department will review all pending fee tickets for adherence to coding rules and flag any discrepancies for physician review.
- Periodically produce reports regarding common errors or latest changes for the medical staff.
- Report immediately to the medical staff as soon as non-paying code/diagnosis/payer combinations are discovered.
- Responsible for timely and accurate submittal of bills to all payers, including patients.
- Responsible for timely reaction to any denial in payments or requests for records in order to expedite payments.
- Periodically report on causes of denied or delayed payments, along with recommendations on any changes that could improve the process.
- Responsible for timely collections from all payers, including patients as defined using company guidelines for Acceptable Days in AR.
- Responsible for accurate accounting for all receivables and their application to the appropriate patient account.
- Periodically report on non-payments and slow payments. Provide recommendations of payers and patients with which to close relationships due to non-payment.
- Oversight and management of the Dispensary’s collections.
- Provide recommendations on auxiliary or third-party services that could augment the collection process, such as lien financing companies.
- Provide regular reports on accounts receivable matters, including aged AR, daily deposit log, Top CPT Report, and collection splits based on doctor, location, payer, and business line.
B&A Department Management
- Provide recommendations for new hires and terminations of B&A department staff.
- Ensure accuracy and accountability of staff.
- Provide periodic reviews of department staff job performance, as well as recommendations for department staff bonuses
- Maintain operation of the B&A department within the department’s budget.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume using our secure online form.